Thursday, November 4, 2010

Berryville Opening

Last weekend, I heard about an English job opening at Berryville High School. I'm quite interested to find out the circumstances surrounding a vacancy at this point in the school year. I actually interviewed at Berryville back in May, but I obviously did not get the job. I've heard from multiple sources that Berryville is the type of school where new teachers go to get some much-needed experience before they move on to bigger and better schools. Berryville's turnover at the end of the year is usually pretty high, but it's surprising to see a vacancy in November.

One theory that someone close to me posited is that perhaps one of the new teachers simply couldn't cut it, that perhaps the vacancy was created when a first-year teacher was so overwhelmed that he or she quit. As much as I hate to admit it, this scenario is a little bit vindicating to me. After all, if it was one of their new teachers that quit, then Berryville seemingly made a mistake by hiring that teacher instead of me. Don't think of me as a horrible person for any satisfaction I might feel; it is a small consolation reserved for someone like me who is often passed over for the jobs.

To be honest, I can't blame Berryville for not hiring me. On the morning I interviewed, I woke up with a nasty head cold. I was congested and could barely drag myself out of bed. I basically caffeinated myself just enough so that I could suffer through the interview and the drive there and back from Fayetteville. I had a great deal of trouble thinking clearly, and I'm sure my answers to the interview questions reflected that.

On top of that, I really wasn't prepared for the interview. Berryville was the first interview I had for any teaching job, so I wasn't fully aware of what I was walking into. I remember specifically being asked about lesson planning. At that time, I had a very vague idea of what lesson plans were, but I did not have a real grasp of what all was involved. Although I don't remember exactly how I answered that morning, I would not be surprised if my answer (or lack thereof) is what cost me the job. If only I'd had Dr. Snow's class before then I would have been so much more prepared!

Regardless of the reasons surrounding the sudden vacancy and for me not getting the job the first time, I am applying again. I contacted the district office on Monday morning and asked to be considered. I also e-mailed the principal of the high school to inform him that I would like another shot at the job.

Back in the spring, I sent off my Berryville application at the same time that I sent off several others. As I dropped the stack of applications into the mailbox, I began to prepare myself for the waiting game. The very next afternoon, I received a call from the school to set up an interview. I was quite shocked at how quickly they had responded. I kind of expected as swift of a response this time, especially since that class is now without a teacher; however, I have not heard back from them. Typically I wouldn't be so impatient after just three days, but given their need and their history of replying quickly, I expected a call by now. Perhaps I am just worried that the principal is not willing to give me another shot because of how poorly I interviewed back in May.

I suppose all I can do is wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment